Welcome New Visitors To First A.M.E. Church!

You are God’s workmanship created in Christ to do good works! We’ll help you discover the life of high adventure when you surrender all to Jesus.
 
We worship every Sunday at 10 AM.

We are centrally located in downtown Athens, Georgia:

 
521 North Hull Street
Athens, GA  30601
706.548.1454
 
 
 
 
 
divider
 

Our Vision, Mission, and Beliefs

divider
The mission of the A.M.E. Church is to minister to the  social, spiritual, and physical development of all people.
 
Here at F.A.M.E., we strive and thrive to transform the hearts of people into a close and personal relationship with Jesus where they know Him as Lord and Savior.  
 
 
 

 

Worship The Lord In Giving

Online giving will be available soon…
 divider

Ways to Serve & Outreach Ministries

Church (Sunday) School
We provide spirited teaching and discussion every Sunday at 8:45 AM.
Children’s Church
We offer Bible Study and teaching every Sunday during regular church services at 10 AM.
Bible Study
Wednesday at noon and 6:30 PM. In-depth teaching for the
Bible Scholar.
Young Adult Ministry
Online Bible Study every Wednesday at
7:15 PM on Zoom.
Give us a call for login information! 
Food Bank
We feed the hungry…
Body and Soul at F.A.M.E every Thursday from
10 AM to 1 PM.
Health Ministry
Stay in tune with the Word and your body! Join us for Aerobics on Mondays & Zumba on Thursdays at 6:00 PM.
Prayer &
Fellowship Groups
Sundays are not the only times of meeting. Join a fellowship group for great interaction.
Choir & Worship Team
Musical? Good voice? Feeling called to be part of our choirs and worship team? Calling voices of ALL ages… Let’s do this!

Rev. Brian A. Hart was born in Chester, Pennsylvania and ordained an Itinerant Elder in the Delaware Conference of the First Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. He matriculated at Chichester High School in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania; Morris Brown College in Atlanta, Georgia; and Payne Theological Seminary in Wilberforce, Ohio. He was awarded an honorary Doctorate from the New Freedom Bible College in Belleville, Illinois. He also is a veteran of the United States Air Force.
 
Pastor Hart’s leadership experiences include being President of the Morris Brown College Ministerial Alli­ance, President of the Atlanta University Center’s SCLC, President of the A.M.E. Ministerial Alliance of At­lanta and Vicinity, National President for the National Pre-Alumni Council of the UNCF and presently serves as 2nd Vice President for The Connectional Council of the A.M.E. Church.
 
Some of Pastor Hart’s involvement with the community ranges from working as a “Community Columnist” for a local newspaper, Investigator for the NAACP Atlanta Chapter, Co-Founder of the “Fairburn Fellowship of Churches” and Campus Advisor to the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., at Wilberforce University, XI Chapter.  He established “The Heart of the Community” nonprofit 501 (c) (3) corporation which, among other things, supplied free Health Fairs and Food Giveaways to hundreds of families at a time.

Pastor Hart has successfully pastored in the Macon, Southwest and Atlanta North Georgia Conferences in the Sixth Episcopal District.  He has served on different Conference’s Board of Examiners, Board of Trustees and Finance Committee.  He was honored and named by the South Atlanta District of the Atlanta North Georgia Conference, “Pastor of the Year” for the conference year of 2015-2016.  He presently is the Senior Pastor at First A.M.E. Church in Athens, Georgia. He received his evangelism certificate from the Department of Church Growth and Evangelism and in 2016, was inducted into the “Order of the Flame” by World Methodist Evangelism.

 

The History of First A.M.E. Church

1866 – First A.M.E. Church (c.1916), formerly Pierce Chapel, was established through the mission work of Rev. Henry McNeal Turner in 1866. Under a resolution of the May 1866 General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church – South, Athens Methodist, Dr. Henry Hull, transferred ownership of a Foundry Street church property to its former slave congregation.  Since the 1820’s, these congregants had worshipped from the galleries of the white Methodist Church (presently First United Methodist Church). In 1852, the separate slave congregation was created – and served by white ministers – when the Methodists built a new brick church and moved the old wooden structure to the Foundry Street lot. The name Pierce Chapel is generally attributed to the prominence of Rev. Lovick Pierce and son Bishop George Pierce in Georgia Methodism.

1867 During the Winter of 1866, Rev. Henry McNeal Turner met with and gained approval of the newly freed Pierce Chapel Methodist Episcopal congregation to join the A.M.E. Church. S.B. Jones, an aspiring minister, then accompanied Rev. Turner to both the 1866 and 1867 A.M.E. South Carolina Annual Conferences for required training. After the close of the 1867 Conference at Wilmington, NC, in May of that year, Turner and Jones returned to Athens. Rev. Turner, now Superintendent of Georgia, completed Pierce Chapel’s conversion to African Methodism by installing Rev. S.B. Jones as its first pastor. 

1874 First New Sanctuary: During the Reconstruction Era, Rev. John M. Cargile followed Rev. S.B. Jones in 1873 and immediately launched a building campaign. The Sanctuary was remodeled and dedicated on July 16, 1874 enabling Pierce Chapel to host the second session of the new Georgia Annual Conference in January 1875.  By 1876, the basement of this early church housed one of Athens’ first schools for freemen led by Ms. Ann Derricott and Rev. Wm. H. Heard, an Elberton native and A.M.E. Bishop.

1881 First Land Purchase: In December of 1881, the congregation purchased the present church lot at the corner of Hull and Strong Streets, which also included a house to be utilized as a parsonage. 

1916 Second New Sanctuary:  Macon natives architect Louis H.  Persley and builder R. F. Walker formulated the plans and completed construction of the church in 1916. The new church was dedicated as First A.M.E. Church in December 1916.  

1972 C.D. Wilkerson Center: Led by the visionary Dr. Clayton D. Wilkerson, the Church erected an educational center, deservedly named in his honor. Earlier In 1969, urban renewal required demolition of the last church parsonage built in 1921 by Rev. William A. Fountain, Jr. 

1978 Dr. Ellen F. Greene, retired Fisk University professor and former member, bequeathed $69, 000 to the church, portions of which were used to retire the Wilkerson Center mortgage and make internal renovations.

1980 Historic Designation:  The Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places effective March 10, 1980. 

1998 Local Historic Designation: First AME Church is officially recognized as a historic landmark by the Commissioners of Athens-Clarke County, GA.

2006 Historic Hiram House Renovation: In 1995, the Church established Project Renew, Inc. to acquire the property of Dr. Ida Johnson Hiram, former member and the first black woman dentist licensed in Georgia. Extensive renovation in 2000 provided affordable housing for the aged and disabled. This earned the church the 2006 Preservation Award from the Athens Historic Preservation Commission.

2007 Georgia Historical Marker Installed. On Sunday, July 16, 2007, a Georgia Historical Marker was installed on behalf of Louis H. Persley of Macon, GA, the first African American architect licensed in Georgia and designer of First A.M.E. Church.

2013 Capital Campaign and Renovation: Rev. Claude R. James led a two-year successful $125,000 capital campaign enabling a major external renovation of the Sanctuary, Bell Tower and church bell installed in 1881.

2014 Historic 100th Augusta Georgia Annual Conference: For over a century, the conference was comprised of the Augusta-Athens and Swainsboro-Vidalia Districts. At the close of this conference, Bishop Preston Williams, II announced a realignment to form new Augusta-Swainsboro and Athens-Vidalia Districts, each to be led by its own Presiding Elder.

Join Us for UGA & College Day!

 

 

Gallery

 
 

We Are Social 

 First A.M.E. Church is not just a building! We extend God’s love to our community and online through our social media channels. Connect and interact with us…
 

Stay Connected!

F.A.M.E. Church 

521 North Hull Street
Athens, Georgia 30601
Email: FirstAMEAthens@gmail.com
Phone:  706.548.1454